Take a look at the five most addictive substances on the planet, ranked by scientists.
According to a team of psychiatrists, chemists, and pharmacologists at the UK’s Royal College of Psychiatrists, the following ranking focuses on dependency.
Caffeine that is the most widely consumed psychoactive ‘drug,’ is not a danger to human health.
Above, image credit Shayanne Gal/Business Insider
Here are the drugs that rank highest for dependency:
1. Heroin: the highest on the list in terms of dependency.
2. Cocaine: receiving a 3 out of 3 in terms of pleasure.
3. Nicotine: ranked as almost as addictive as cocaine, in terms of psychological addictiveness.
4. Barbiturates: sedative drugs. They were once widely prescribed for anxiety.
5. Alcohol: less psychologically addictive than tobacco.